Food Diary: What I ate in Vancouver, British Columbia

Hello everyone! I took a quick weekend trip to Vancouver, BC last week for a workshop. I decided that I wanted to review the food I ate and hope that I can provide some recommendations for anyone that lives there or is planning to visit.

I arrived Friday night at 8:30 PM, after an hour of claiming baggage, getting to my hotel in downtown Vancouver and checking into my hotel, it was almost 10:00 PM. My best friend and I decided that we should go to a Japanese Izakaya restaurant called Kingyo in the West End area of downtown. We ordered a bunch of food to share between the two of us.

The first item that came was the Pressed Mackerel Sushi


The is the first time I've ever tried pressed sushi and holy this was good! The flavour of the mackerel was on point, no soy sauce was needed. However if you don't like fishy seafood, this will not be your dish.

The second dish was the Pork Tempura


I wasn't too excited about this dish when I first ordered it to be honest. However when I tried it, I was surprised at how juicy and tender it was! The lemon and the mayonnaise sauce complimented the pork.

The third dish was the Uni Miso Udon


I tried uni before when I was younger and I remembered not liking the taste at all! When we saw this item on the menu, we were very curious and decided to give it a try. This dish really surprised us! The udon has a nice smoky flavour to it and the sauce for the noodles was very thick. This is pretty similiar to a carbonara pasta. I really enjoyed this dish and the addition of snow crab is definitely a nice touch. Who knows, maybe I will give uni another try.

The fourth dish was a Snow Crab Stone Bowl Rice dish.


This dish is actually my least favourite out of the bunch. I love the ingredients and the freshness or this. However the flavour was a bit bland for my taste. The snow crab actually makes the rice bowl to be quite sweet, which was very surprising.

We also got two desserts, a Sesame Panna Cotta and a Frozen Green Tea Brulee.


The flavours for both desserts were on point! They were not too sweet but had a really strong sesame or green tea flavour. Also keep in mind that the green tea dessert is very frozen so it was hard to get to in the beginning

Overall I really enjoyed the Kingyo Restaurant, all the food was really good! This place does get very busy but it also opens till 12:30 AM.

Also we got complimentary frozen grapes at the end of our meal


Second Day

Lunch

For lunch I decided to go to The Poke Guy and get some poke! The set up for this place reminds me of Subway. You pick your base so rice or salad, then you choose your protein, veggies and toppings.


I chose white rice, tuna, salmon, imitation crab, edamame beans, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, seaweed salad, nori and spicy mayonnaise. I also got the large bowl, you can choose the smaller bowl if you like. This was really good, all the ingredients went well together. The fish tasted fresh and this was a filling lunch. However this was a pretty pricey lunch so keep that in mind if that's a concern.

Dinner

For dinner I was craving soup dumplings so bad, so we went to Dinesty Dumpling House on Robson Street. My best friend and I ordered a bunch of dishes and shared everything once again.

Hot and Sour Soup


Hot and Sour soup is one of my all time favourite dishes. I love the sourness and the plentiful ingredients in this soup. This was pretty well done and I enjoyed having some to start the meal.

Beef Wraps


These beef rolls were pretty good, my only complaint is that the wrap has too much flour and not enough onions are in these rolls.

Tan Tan Noodles


This is my first time trying tan tan noodles and I have to say that I like them! The spicy peanut broth is so rich and creamy. It compliments the noodles really well! 

Kimchi Soup Dumplings


This dish was my least favourite out of everything I tried from this meal. The kimchi left a sweet aftertaste in these dumplings and I just was not a fan. However they were juicy and the skin was not too thick.

Original Soup Dumplings


You can never go wrong with the original soup dumplings. There was lots of soup, the flavour was on point and the skin was thin. I loved these and I would totally go back for more! 

Custard and Salted Yolk Buns


Last but not least, dessert! I love custard and salted yolk buns so I could not resist getting some. The buns were soft and the filling was not overly sweet. My only complaint is that the filling was not runny enough. It was almost like a pudding, I prefer the really runny ones. Overall I did enjoy these and would order it again.

Last Day

On my last day I decided to go for some pho since I was not feeling well. I went to Joyeaux Cafe since it was the only Vietnamese restaurant opened on a Sunday that had good reviews. So I decided to order a Vietnamese hot coffee and a special beef pho.


This was not the best pho I ever had but it was still pretty good!It hit the spot and I felt better after this meal. I still prefer Ha Long Bay on West Pender Street, however Joyeaux Cafe is a good option when they are closed during the weekend.

Conclusion

I had a great time trying out different restaurants in Vancouver! If you have any recommendations I should check out next time, please let me know!

Thanks for reading!

Vivian

Comments

Popular Posts